4 cups unbleached all purpose flour
6 Tbsp sugar
1 Tbsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
1 cup (2 sticks) chilled unsalted butter, cut into 1/2 inch pieces
1 3/4 cups chilled buttermilk
9 Tbsp of Four Berry Preserves or your favorite E. Waldo Ward Preserve
1. Whisk flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt in large bowl to blend. Freeze mixture 1 hour.
2. Position rack in center of oven and preheat to 375 degrees. Transfer flour mixture to processor. Add butter and cut in using on/off turns until mixture resembles coarse meal.
3. Return mixture to large bowl. Make well in center of mixture. Add chilled buttermilk and stir just until blended and moist clumps form. Turn dough out onto floured work surface. Gather dough together and pat into 1-inch thick round. (DO NOT KNEAD.)
4. Using 2 3/4 inch diameter biscuit cutter, cut out biscuits. Transfer biscuit to large ungreased baking sheet, spacing 1 1/2 inches apart. Gather scraps and repat to 1 inch thickness, then cut out additional biscuits, for a total of 9.
5. Insert thumb into center of biscuit, making deep indentation that almost reaches bottom, then push toward sides of biscuit to form 1 inch diameter hole. Repeat with remaining biscuits.
6. Spoon 1 Tbsp jam into each hole. Bake jam filled biscuits until golden brown, about 25 minutes. Serve biscuits warm.
Makes 9 biscuits